Rock Steady Vibe

Something to do on my days off, basically.

8.07.2006

No, really. Comcast is the worst.

I mean it this time.

Now we're not even having storms and my internet service drops out constantly. I spent a full 20 minutes on the phone (after being on hold for 12 minutes) with customer service trying to figure out what was wrong with my system, only to be told in the end: "Hmm. I don't know." And let me tell you, this little exchange I had been having for the previous 20 minutes? Not exactly fun. He reminded me of Jimmy Fallon on Saturday Night Live when he played "Nick Burns: Your Company's Computer Guy." He was totally condescending and loved to exude big exasperated sighs every time I would ask him a question. Here's a sample of our conversation:

me: "I've lost internet service 4 times over the course of a month now. Can you see what the problem is?"
Nick Burns: "(Extremely noisy, exasperated sigh) Is your modem plugged in?"
me: "Yes."
Nick Burns: "Are you sure?"
me: "Well, I'm fairly positive, but let's just check again... yep."
Nick Burns: "Did you turn off the power switch on your surge protector?" (He SO wanted to follow this up with "Moron?" -- I could just tell.)
me: "Nope."

Let me say this: my brother works as one of these computer technical nerds, and I know they have to ask all these retarded questions that make you feel like an asshole, because there really are some smacked asses out there who will ask things like "Where's the 'any' key?" But I feel like, maybe, these guys shouldn't start out assuming that you rode a short bus to school. That maybe, just maybe there might be an actual problem, and the sarcasm and the exasperation can hold for just a few minutes until I give you an actual reason to be sarcastic and exasperated.

So I have a Comcast techie coming to visit me right here in my humble abode next Monday to figure out what the hell is wrong with my internet connection. I'm fully expecting him to say at some point, "There, was that so hard?" And then I'll kill him. Just kidding. Not really.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Thister said…

    Damn, that sucks! At least you could actually understand the person you called. When I started college I put together my computer and started it up for the first time only to have it crash on me.

    Upon further inspection I found out that my motherboard wasn't as amazing a piece of technology as I thought it was. Some bad wiring, I concluded. Luckily it was under warranty still, so I called up the company to see what they could do. In addition to waiting on the line for, oh, 20 minutes, I got a foreigner who I could barely understand. I think I spent almost 20 extra mintues talking to the lady I got because her accent was so strong and hard to interpret. In the end everything got fixed, but it was annoying.

    In short, I sympathize with you!

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Blogger RockSteady said…

    You know, you're absolutely right: I should put things into perspective. At least he spoke English as his first language!!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Bree said…

    "...and in local news, a Comcast employee's body was found in the river today. The man was apparantly strangled to death with an ethernet cord after receiving several violent blows to the kidneys from what appears to be a ComCast internet router. Police are still looking for the culprit."

    XD

     

Post a Comment

<< Home