Rock Steady Vibe

Something to do on my days off, basically.

7.14.2006

What I'm listening to these days...

Johnny Cash, American V: A Hundred Highways:

This is the Man In Black's first posthumous album thanks to Rick Rubin, and it's one of my favorites of the 5 they collaborated on together. John's voice was definitely starting to go at this point, but there's something about it that makes me love the raspiness in his voice even more than it was strong. It's a beautiful album, and I'm in love with "Rose of My Heart."

Pearl Jam, self-titled:
Oh, it's just so good. Granted, I am a big fan of Pearl Jam's, and have been since their inception, but seriously. It's really good. You should get it, if you haven't already. Best songs: "Life Wasted," "Unemployable," "Big Wave," and "Inside Job."

The Raconteurs, Broken Boy Soldiers:

This CD has been so completely addictive. I am a huge fan of the White Stripes, and if you haven't been living under a rock, you all know that this is Jack White's side project that he's doing. I think he was fully expecting this to be more of an under-the-radar type thing, but no such luck, Jack. Everyone likes you and the music you make, so you're just going to have to get over it. The whole disc is really solid, but definitely turn up the volume on "Broken Boy Soldier," "Level," and "Blue Veins."

Keane, Under the Iron Sea:

All right, so Keane's really starting to make a name for themselves... their songs are in trailers for cheesy movies like "The Lake House," and Zach Braff gave them a shout-out on his website, and they really are great. I have their last CD, Hopes and Fears, and I love it. But this is definitely not unexplored territory here, and frankly, Keane, Radiohead and Coldplay are a few steps ahead of you. But nonetheless, there's still good stuff here. Take a listen to "Is It Any Wonder?" (in my opinion, one of the best songs out right now, period), "Hamburg Song," "Crystal Ball" and "Broken Toy."

KT Tunstall, Eye to the Telescope:

You've probably heard much more of KT Tunstall than you even realize. Her song "Universe & U" was featured prominently on the season finale of "Grey's Anatomy," her song "Black Horse & the Cherry Tree" is EVERYWHERE, I'm told that "Suddenly I See" is featured in The Devil Wears Prada, and "Other Side of the World," "Miniature Disasters," and "Another Place To Fall" are also getting airtime in various places. Plus, she must be good, because they're even selling her CD at Starbucks these days -- not bad for a debut effort, no? And there's no doubt about it, she is a very talented girl. However, that being said, if you've heard these songs that I've mentioned, that's about all you need to hear. The rest of the album is not that fantastic.. it's OK. But I think we'll get more great things from KT Tunstall.

I am now highly anticipating Tom Petty's upcoming release, Highway Companion.

So what are you guys listening to?

1 Comments:

  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Bree said…

    Well done! I've had "steady as she goes" on repeat for like, two weeks now. O_o I'll have to look into the rest of the album...

    1. Death Cab
    2. Jason MMMMMMMMRaz (saw him in concert last night for the third time!)
    3. Muse
    4. Red Hot Chili Peppers "stadium arcadium"
    5. my "canciones de europa" mix CD (if that counts LOL!)

    Yeah for the write up, and I have to say that I think Keane rocks because they are the least likely rockstars on the planet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home