Rock Steady Vibe

Something to do on my days off, basically.

2.26.2006

Sushi: Not for Everybody

Last night, the boyfriend and I went out with two other couples to a restaurant called Kabuki in King of Prussia. This was in honor of the boyfriend's upcoming birthday on Tuesday. (I know, I know... it's like we've been celebrating for weeks. But who says you can't?) My friend Tracy had suggested this place because it's smoke-free (important especially right now because she's 6 months pregnant), it's BYOB (read: cheaper), it's close by, and the food is excellent. I had never been there before, but after she and my other friend Megan raved about it so much, we decided that's where we would go.

Now let me backtrack a bit. A few months ago, we went to another Japanese restaurant called Hana in Wayne. I know this sounds completely absurd, but at the time, that was my first time ever trying sushi. And even then, I was just taking bits and pieces off other people's plates. But it was really good, and I liked it a lot. So last night, I decided I would go the sushi route for my entire meal.

Not a good move on my part.

I ordered up some raw tuna and some raw salmon, and also picked a little at what Tracy ordered (which I believe was called a monkey roll?). Anyway, I ate it, and things were fine. Then I got my regular meal, and ate some of that. That was when things started to go downhill. I started to sweat. I thought it might be the wine we were drinking, though, so I cooled it on the wine and had some water and some of the boyfriend's white rice. Then my stomach tightened up. Uh-oh. I stopped eating and just sat, sipping water and zoning out while everyone chatted. After a few minutes, though, I was really sweating and not feeling too hot at all. I asked the boyfriend where the bathroom was and made my way.

Once I got to the bathroom, I splashed some water on my face and cooled down. My stomach started to relax a bit, and I felt well enough to return to the table. I was seated for maybe about five minutes when I jumped back up, and ran back into the bathroom.

The rest of the evening went pretty much how you can imagine from then on. I can impart to you this: I'll be avoiding the raw sushi from now on. Don't believe the hype.

Final score for the evening: Sushi - 1, RockSteady - 0.

PS -- I'd just like to suggest to restaurants everywhere: If your customer is throwing up the meal he/she ate before you even set the check on the table, think about knocking a few dollars off. Just sayin'.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger none said…

    You've probably got a terrible mental association now, and will never try sushi again (and I don't blame you), but sushi is really very good. I've been eating it for years and never gotten sick; it's just very imporant to order it at a reputable place.

    You totally should've gotten a discount of some sort though. :)

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger RockSteady said…

    Girl, you're not kidding. I will be avoiding sushi for a long time to come. I know it's good and I know everyone loves it, but for now I will stick to greasy, heart-stopping, processed, crappy, All-American food.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home