Rock Steady Vibe

Something to do on my days off, basically.

2.15.2005

47th Annual Grammy Awards

I am such a loser. I totally missed the Grammys this year, and solely because I completely forgot about them being on. But I was happy to see some of the winners, such as Loretta Lynn for Van Lear Rose (Best Country Album), Toots and the Maytals for True Love (Best Reggae album), Ben Harper for Best Pop Instrumental Performance, U2 for Vertigo (for a couple categories), Velvet Revolver for Slither (Best Hard Rock Performance), Wilco for A Ghost is Born (Best Alternative Music album), Prince for Call My Name (Best Male R&B Vocal Performance) and Musicology (Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance), Jay-Z for 99 Problems (Best Rap Solo Performance), Loretta Lynn & Jack White for Portland Oregon (Best Country Collaboration with Vocals), Zach Braff for Best Soundtrack Compilation album for Garden State, and of course, Jon Stewart and the cast of the Daily Show for Best Comedy Album.

However, and I mean no disrespect by this, but I'm just going to throw this out there: do you think that just maybe Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company album wouldn't have gotten as many awards if he hadn't just passed away this year and they hadn't made that movie? Just thinkin' out loud here... I'm not taking away from the album -- it's excellent. But the awards it received, to me, seemed almost excessive. I could be wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home