Rock Steady Vibe

Something to do on my days off, basically.

1.01.2006

Happy 2006!

Happy New Year, everyone!! I know I've been really terrible about posting lately, but I just haven't been around to do it. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season!

So, 2005 has ended. I can't believe how quickly the year flew by! And so much has happened, especially in the celebrity world. To recap it all would take just about forever, but head on over to Pink is the New Blog, because really -- who better to recap the year in celebrity than my man, Trent???

However, I do want to steal a page from Trent -- he gave his list of best new music for 2005, and I'd like to give my own as well. And here they are!

It had been awhile since we'd seen or heard anything from Oasis, aside from a poorly advised sell-out to Victoria's Secret using one of their songs in a commercial. But the boys were back this year with Don't Believe The Truth, which was hands-down one of their best releases. I used to be Oasis' biggest champion back in the day, and I'm happy to be there again!




I just received this live Wilco CD for Christmas, and it has not been out of my CD player ever since. It's fantastic, and a definite must-own for any Wilco fan. The sound is so tight that you forget it's live after awhile.



I don't feel like you can ever really go wrong with a Nine Inch Nails. I know a lot of people feel that Trent Reznor has run his course and all his stuff sounds the same, but I really disagree. His music has matured with him, and I find myself liking Nine Inch Nails more and more with each new release.


For the longest time I stayed away from Jack Johnson, because I was under the impression he was another one of those cheesy trying-to-be-deep ballad singers; a Mr. Sensitive-Ponytail-Man without the ponytail, if you will. But the boyfriend bought this CD a few months ago, and I found that I couldn't get enough of it. It's a very happy CD, and I find that I can be in the worst mood, but listening to this disc will cheer me up. Also, he reminds me a lot of Jonathon Richman, whom I like a lot.


As you all know, I was addicted to the show, but I became very addicted to the second volume of the Six Feet Under soundtrack after the show ended. I bought it because I couldn't get Sia's beautiful song, "Breathe Me," out of my head after the series finale aired, but I was pleasantly surprised by the entire CD.


I love Beck. He's always so creative, and you know that whenever you purchase a Beck CD, it's going to be something unusual. Guero was no exception. It's exceptionally more upbeat than his Sea Change album (don't get me wrong, I thought that was great, too), but there's still a lot of depth there -- you can especially hear it in songs like "Missing" and "Earthquake Weather." Plus, his duet with Jack White -- "Go It Alone" -- is amazing.

These guys are a mix of old-school Rolling Stones, a little bit of Beatles, some of the Verve and perhaps even a little Oasis -- how can you go wrong?


I'm with Trent on this one -- a lot of people think Liz Phair is selling out, but I also think, like Trent, that she's growing. There's still no one like her on the music scene.

I got into this group awhile ago when I first heard their disc, Electric Version, so I was really excited when I read they were releasing a new album. Twin Cinema definitely did not disappoint, though I still prefer Electric Version of the two.

Last but certainly not least, my favorite release of 2005: The White Stripes' Get Behind Me Satan. These two just don't stop rocking.

Also, some honorable mentions:

Coldplay, X&Y -- A lot of the same stuff we've come to expect from Chris Martin and the gang, but as the saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Foo Fighters, In Your Honor -- Everyone I know who bought this double-disc was really into the acoustic side, and felt that the first disc was more of the same old Foo Fighters. However, for me, the acoustic disc put me to sleep, while I thought the first disc rocked. Unfortunately, the title song has been forever ruined to me due to its connection to the "Breaking Bonaduce" episode that featured it. Oh, well.

So that's it! If there's any others I may have left off the list, feel free to comment!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    nice choices...
    someone once gave me grief cause i liked oasis - but they have a lot of good tunes - rest of list rocks too - esp. jack johnson who, near as i can tell, is g*d....

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger RockSteady said…

    Thanks! And anyone who gives you grief about liking Oasis has never seen them in concert... they're amazing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home